Ricky shattered about Bateman
NRL: While Ricky Stuart is upset about the contract situation with John Bateman he understands the rest of the team still need to be looked after.
Canberra Raiders star John Bateman‘s highly-anticipated return to the NRL has been prolonged even further after the English international confirmed he required further corrective surgery on his shoulder.
Bateman was unavailable for the opening three rounds of the 2020 premiership after undergoing surgery in February, and will remain sidelined after this latest setback. It is unknown how long the rehabilitation process will take.
The Raiders released a statement on Wednesday evening confirming Bateman would require additional surgery on his troublesome shoulder.
“Bateman met with the surgeon today and the best course of action was determined to have the surgery,” the statement read.
“Bateman is expected to make a full recovery and will be working hard to get himself back on the field this season.”
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
The 26-year-old said he was “gutted” to discover his return to rugby league would be postponed yet again.
“I’m gutted to be having surgery again, but it’s what’s best for me and the team and to help me get back on the field as soon as possible,” Bateman said in a statement.
“I’ll be working harder than ever with my rehab to get myself back on the field with the lads. See you all soon.”
The Raiders have been touted as potential favourites to claim the 2020 premiership, but the news of Bateman’s prolonged injury comes as a massive blow for last year’s finalists. However, Canberra are undefeated after three encounters without their star backrower, including a comprehensive victory over the Melbourne Storm on Saturday evening.
Devastating blow for the Raiders. Huge loss for the @NRL & league lovers.— Zac Bailey (@ZacBailey14) June 3, 2020
Bateman is one of those hard-edged players you love to watch take on anyone that comes his way, hit-up after hit-up.
Hope to see him back out on the field at some stage in 2020 ???? https://t.co/RcO4UVjUCn
Bateman recently spoke about the potential of returning for next week’s round five clash against the West Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium.
“Not far off now, it’s getting closer and closer which I’m pretty pleased about,” Bateman told Sky Sports.
“I don’t want to rush myself I’ve done the hard work now, so I don’t really want to rush into pushing myself, so I’ll take it nice and slowly and so when I’m ready I’ll be ready.”
Bateman is reportedly in talks with English powerhouse the Wigan Warriors to sign a multimillion-dollar contract, it was revealed Tuesday.
Foxsports.com.au reported Bateman could be quitting the NRL to join his former Super League club on a five-year deal worth $3.5 million.
The Canterbury Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans also reportedly showed interest in signing Bateman for the 2021 season.